Have you made the decision to do your part to be eco friendly and help the environment?
If so, even the smallest details of your life, such as decorating your home, probably have changed. You can no longer go to the store and purchase just any home décor products. The products that you choose must have a positive impact on the environment.
Listed below are 12 eco friendly alternatives to home décor products. Being eco friendly doesn’t mean that your home can’t be beautiful.
- Out with the silk flowers! Instead of buying costly silk flowers that will only collect dust, choose to use what nature has to offer. During the spring, fill you home with the beautiful scent and color of flowers from your garden. Wild flowers also make a beautiful addition to your home décor.
- Reuse what you already have. Instead of going out and buying home décor products, reuse what you already have. A can of paint can transform something that you thought you no longer liked into something that you love. And best of all, it will be eco friendly!
- Make the commitment to never buy new. To truly be eco friendly, you must first make the commitment to never buy new. Choose to frequent garage sales or use websites that offer second hand home décor products for very little money.
- Get crafty! An eco friendly alternative to home décor products is to make your own. Use things from nature to create beautiful, one of a kind home décor products. This will be fun and will help adorn your home for very little money.
- Know where to shop. It is important that you know where to find inexpensive home décor products that will be eco friendly and also fit into your budget. Choose products that are on sale and that are made of natural materials.
- Take advantage of Pinterest. Pinterest is a new website where people share creative ideas. Sign up to receive great ideas on how you can decorate your home using eco friendly home décor. Do you have a Pinterest account? If so start researching creative ideas today.
- Choose a natural look. An eco friendly alternative to expensive home décor is to choose a natural look. Choosing a natural look for your home will allow you to decorate with things that are in more of abundance.
- Repurposed pillows. Another eco friendly option for decorating your home is to repurpose your couch pillows. Once your pillows are out of date or no longer match you décor, get creative and repurpose them yourself. Find eco friendly fabric that will be durable and last a long time.
- Decorating with baskets. Baskets are also eco friendly home décor products that are inexpensive and can add a decorative touch to your home. Made of natural materials, you can never have too many decorative baskets. Baskets can hold flowers, magazines, and even hair bows!
- Consider how it is made. When purchasing home décor products, don’t make a purchase until you consider how it is made. Choose products that will express your love for the earth, that will be friendly to you budget, and that will match the rest of your décor.
- Mosaic touches are beautiful. Choose to create your own mosaics to add a beautiful, earth friendly touch to your home. These handmade home décor products are eco friendly and very inexpensive to make. You can make mosaics for your garden or for a kitchen countertop. This is an eco friendly idea that can be used throughout your entire home.
- Natural window coverings. Instead of choosing expensive window coverings that are made from harmful products, choose to leave your window bare. If you have neighbors and want something over your windows, choose bamboo blinds that are budget friendly and will be better for the earth.
When decorating your home, you can still stick to your eco friendly lifestyle. Use the tips above to help you find eco friendly alternatives to home décor products. Many of these tips will be easy on your budget and will also be good for the earth.