In today’s ever-increasing environmentally conscience world, we are seeing some really innovative materials emerging as eco friendly alternatives. Another example of this is Ingeo.
Ingeo™ (a trademark of Natureworks LLC) is a man-made fiber made out of corn. Natureworks claim that Ingeo is the world’s first man-made fiber derived from 100% annually renewable resources. Natureworks describe Ingeo as follows:
Ingeo fiber combines the qualities of natural and synthetic fibers in a new way. Strength and resilience are balanced with comfort, softness and drape in textiles. In addition, Ingeo fiber has good moisture management characteristics. This means that Ingeo fiber is ideally suited to fabrics from fashion to furnishings.
- Is color fast (i.e. does not fade).
- Is wrinkle free (doesn’t need ironing).
- Is resilient - it doesn’t shrink.
- Doesn’t absorb odors.
- Has excellent soil release and stain resistance.
- Has excellent performance when compared to other fibers.
- Is hypoallergenic. Ingeo has never caused an allergic reaction in independent testing.
- Has excellent U.V. resistance (better than polyester).
- Will not retain moisture. It can be spun dry in the washer, and requires little or no drying.
- Is more breathable than polyester
If you’re interested, here’s a report from the Hohenstein Institute comparing Ingeo fabric to cotton and polyester as a fabric for sporting applications. (Hint: Ingeo came out on top).