The Comfort Factor
Bamboo clothing is said to be softer than cotton, with a texture more like that of silk or cashmere.
Bamboo clothing also absorbs moisture quickly. It actually draws moisture away from your skin, so it’s perfect for summer months or warmer climates, as well as for vigorous activities such as playing sports, bush walking, running, cycling etc. Pure bamboo clothes also dry in about half the time as cotton clothing.
Bamboo clothes are perfect to wear all year round - they’ll keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
The Environmental Benefits
The environmental benefits of bamboo clothing are also very impressive.
Here are some environmental facts about growing bamboo plants:
- Bamboo plants can grow successfully without any fertilisers or pesticides.
- Bamboo grows extremely fast - it’s the fastest growing plant on the planet. Bamboo has been known to grow 3 - 4 feet per day!
- Bamboo doesn’t require a lot of water to grow.
- Bamboo is a very hardy plant - it can survive drought conditions and flood conditions.
- Bamboo plants release lots of oxygen into the air. A grove of bamboo release 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees.
- Bamboo is a very earth friendly plant. It can reduce soil erosion and desertization. It can actually improve soil quality in degraded and eroded areas.
Bamboo fabric is created from the bamboo pulp. It doesn’t need chlorine to bleach it and it can be dyed easily with minimal water requirements. Fabrics that don’t dye easily are often treated with harsh chemicals and much more water, so an organic fabric that dyes easy is generally better for the environment.
And of course, bamboo clothing is 100% biodegradable, so you know your old bamboo garments aren’t going to end up in landfill for hundreds of years along with the other non-biodegradable junk.
Bamboo clothing really is a comfortable and environmentally friendly choice!
Where can I buy Bamboo Clothing?
You might be able to find bamboo clothes at your local organic clothing store. Otherwise, there are plenty of place to order bamboo clothes online.
You might also like to check the comments section below, for readers’ suggestions on bamboo clothing stores.